Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dirt cake and a homesteading plan





I thought I had kept a photo of the dirt cake I made last weekend but I guess I have deleted it. My niece can't even find the one copy I sent to her so I'm picture-less of the new recipe I tried. My goal at the beginning of the year was to make one new food stuff each month. I have collect recipes for years and it was time to try them out and either keep it or pitch the recipe. I stopped around March but finally tried again here in July with Dirt Cake. My good friend T has made the same thing at her 4th of July weekend bash and I had to try it at home I loved it that much.

The pictures I have included are from my grandmother's trailer, or rather what's left of it. She died in 2008 but she was in a nursing home for a few years before that and the place was left to ruin. Vandals have already been inside taking the copper and whatever other stuff they could find.

I'm currently waiting on cooler weather (November) to begin clearing the land. I need to cut down what trees haven't fallen over and get them out of the way before I can start dismantling the trailer itself. I'm tempted to keep the frame where it is and build a kind of three season outdoor area that is screened it but that has water and cooking available for cookouts, etc. Possibly even have a sleepover in it. Not sure if that will stay the plan but that is one option.

All I want is a place of my own. A place for solitude and to be able to do what I want when I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment